Increasing Hunger in America is the Wrong Direction for Our Country
Are we a nation that lets our elected officials in Washington DC take meals away from hungry children and seniors? Today is a national call-in day to show Congress that increasing hunger in America is unacceptable. Will you join the movement to stop additional drastic cuts to SNAP?
Tomorrow, the House Agriculture Committee will vote on a Farm Bill proposal that cuts SNAP by over $16 billion. Were you aware that more than one (1) in seven (7) Americans receives SNAP benefits?
What do the proposed drastic cuts to SNAP mean for hungry Americans?
- 500,000 households would see their benefits cut by $90 per month;
- 2 to 3 million individuals would lose their food assistance entirely;
- Nearly 300,000 kids would lose free school meals.
More than one (1) in five (5) children lives in poverty and nearly one (1) in four (4) is at risk of hunger. Often, I write about pending legislation which impacts indigent children, youth, and families with the goal of encouraging the reader to act to protect vulnerable families. I know that ensuring America’s children and youth are connected to healthy food where they live, learn and play is as important to you as it is to me. As a result, I am writing to you today to update on the Farm Bill.
Over twenty-five (25) percent of the children in the US under the age of six live in poverty. The poverty rate among women climbed to 14.5 percent in 2010 from 13.9 percent in 2009, the highest in 17 years. As poverty surged last year to its highest level since 1993, median household income declined, leaving the typical American household earning less in inflation-adjusted dollars than it did in 1997. One out of every six Americans is now being served by at least one government anti-poverty program. Child homelessness in the United States is now thirty-three (33) percent higher than it was back in 2007. More than 50 million Americans are now on Medicaid, the U.S. government health care program designed principally to help the poor.
Let’s tell our elected officials in Washington that increasing hunger in America is the wrong direction for our country. We cannot let there be additional drastic cuts to SNAP happen.
If agree that increasing hunger in America is the wrong direction for our country, please call your Representative Today!
Send Congress a message. Your voice can, and will, make a difference. With that said, please take these very simple steps to help millions of vulnerable children, youth, and families across our nation.
- Call the toll-free hotline at 877-698-8228.
- Listen to the pre-recorded message and enter your zip code when prompted. You will then be connected to your Representative.
- State that you are a constituent and give your name and the town you are calling from. Let them know you are calling about the Farm Bill and deliver this important message:
- I strongly oppose cuts to SNAP and other hunger-relief programs.
- Please vote against the proposed cuts to SNAP in the House Farm Bill.
- Increasing hunger in America is the wrong direction for our country.
We can only make a difference when we take action.
You may never know what results come of your action, but if you do nothing there will be no result. ~ Gandhi
Source(s): www.congress.org. Feeding America. Action Alert Voices for Americas Children. Action Alert Bread for the World. St. Vincent de Paul Society. National Center on Family Homelessness.
Photo Credit: Microsoft Clip Art